Sunday 21 December 2014

Anyone for a helping of Christmas Turkey?


Christmas turkey with trimmings

Photo from Thinkstock...thank you


I was listening to a Radio program recently & the compere read out the most amazing little story about "Turkey for Dinner".........I wish I could remember even 1/2 of how cleverly the story was told but it went something like this.

"I met with my Turkey friend a week or so ago & shared with him my plans for Christmas. I explained to him that his future was in my sights & that I wouldn't be feeding him any more as I had plans to place him on my table as a great celebration for Christmas; Turkey listened very carefully trying to gage what this would really mean for him & if it would affect his life. Possibly the celebration seemed a great idea but attending without his clothing of feathers did bring a feeling of anxiety!
Turkey suggested that he & I go for a walk along the beach as he thought he needed to know more about this proposed celebration, & he also wanted to share with me his own ideas of how he viewed his future. We both walked arm in arm down along the beach allowing the waves to gently tickle our toes, we took in the beautiful fresh sea air & watched the sun slowly go down in the West. Life was good, nature so perfect & the bond between friends grew even deeper with every step....we listened to one another & could relate in a way that had never been considered, after all my previous thoughts had been that a turkey wouldn't really think or even feel anything about anything ! I was blown away as Turkey talked from the heart about how he saw his life & what he would like to change, the plans he envisioned for himself & what he was passionate about......certainly turkey dinner wasn't mentioned! He seemed so grateful to be able to share these thoughts & dreams with me & that I was willing to listen.
The sun had set by this time & I was feeling extremely uncomfortable about my own plans of eating him for Christmas Dinner.....in fact, could I now go through with these plans knowing him better than I had considered possible, even after a short stroll along the beach!

What do you think was the outcome of this story & is Turkey now happily grazing the fields & watching over the farm with his plans unfolding as he envisioned?"
I  love this story as it tells me so much about life & my relationships with everyone & everything, & how I view these relationships & interact with them......Food for Thought!

(with apologies to the unknown author who told this story far more eloquently!)

No comments:

Post a Comment